Anglophone crisis: Students Boycott GCE Exams, Board Records Low Registration
Speaking Tuesday February 28, 2017 on the statistics so far on the day of last deadline, GCE Board Registrar Dr Humphrey Ekema Monono did not mention the number of candidates registered in the North West and South West regions but said the Board is working daily for the smooth holding of the Session.
He said it was too soon to know the exact number of candidates registered so far in the two English speaking regions and maintained that by next week, he will be in possession of the statistics.
The Registrar said the Board hopes to have over 100,000 after the deadline of Tuesday. Dr Humphrey Ekema also revealed that vetting of questions for the 2019 session is underway in Buea.
It is not clear whether the examinations will take place in the months previewed; May and June for practical and written respectively.
The Cameroon Government has insisted that examinations this year must hold despite calls from protesters for boycott. The possibility of extension of the school year is under discussion. The Director of Cabinet at the Prime Minister’s Office Paul Goghomu Mingo in a Press Conference in Yaoundé that there could be a readjustment in the Academic Calendar.
However schools have remained closed in most English speaking schools, those that are opened, classes are not effective.